Positive Behaviour Supports
This course is an introduction to Positive Behaviour Supports (PBS) for frontline staff supporting individuals with developmental disabilities who experience behaviours of concern. This PBS course will highlight the importance of knowing the individual, the importance of trust and relationships in the lives of the individuals, and how to better support an individual when they are experiencing behaviours of concern.
Course Learning Outcomes
Participants completing this training will be able to
- Explain the role of Positive Behavior Supports and its relationship to Quality of Life for individuals with behaviours of concern
- Identify the ethical and philosophical foundations of positive behavior supports
- Recognize the Creating Excellence Together (CET) standards specific to planned positive procedures and planned restrictive procedures.
- Explain the relationship between Positive Behaviour Supports (PBS) and Person-Centered Planning.
- Discuss the importance of understanding that behaviours of concern are communication, are functional in identifying unmet needs or are a response to a trigger in the environment.
- Increase awareness on how to effectively observe and chart events surrounding behaviours of concern that identify communication function or response to a trigger.
- Identify and define the different types of behavioral strategies and interventions and categorize the interventions as positive or restrictive.
- Outline staff roles and responsibilities related to implementing positive behavioral support plans.
- Recognize the behaviour planning process including the functional behaviour assessment, planning and implementation.
Currently, ACDS is revising its Positive Behaviour Supports curriculum. The previous PBS Level 1 + 2 training can be completed online, and meets the CET Standards related to PBS.
In light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, all face-to-face training sessions are cancelled unil further notice.
Click here to register for Introduction to Positive Behaviour Supports (Online)