The Requirement for Accreditation Level 1
Accreditation Level 1 surveys are funded by the Persons with Developmental Disabilities (PDD) Program. According to PDD, which is part of the Ministry of Community and Social Services, service providers that have a current Service Agreement with PDD
- have a requirement for their services to be evaluated according to approved standards at least once every three years
- must be in compliance with the standards or be actively pursuing compliance in order to be eligible to receive Ministry funding
Therefore, all service providers funded by PDD must either
- hold current CET accreditation status
- be scheduled for an Accreditation Level 1 survey
- be actively implementing an Action Plan to address any deficiencies following the receipt of the Site Survey Report or
- have successfully implemented an Action Plan to address any deficiencies following the survey
The Accreditation Level 1 Process
Accreditation Level 1 expects policy (where indicated), process, and consistent and informed practice to be in place within all levels of the organization. The CET Survey process examines service provision from three perspectives.
- Conversations with individuals accessing service look for evidence of the individuals' Quality of Life
- Conversations with staff determine if the human resources component is adequate to provide Quality of Service, which is necessary to facilitate Quality of Life
- Conversations with management staff along with reviews of the Self-Study Guide and other documentation reveals the effectiveness of the service provider's Organizational Framework (e.g. policy, procedures, infrastructure) to support Quality of Service and Quality of Life
The Achievement of Accreditation Level 1
The Measurement System for this primary level of standards is used to determine whether an organization has met the requirements of Accreditation Level 1, including mandatory indicators that focus on behaviour management.
A post-survey process supports service providers to address, in an Action Plan, all of the indicators that were not met, regardless of whether the organization achieves Accreditation Level 1 or not.
Achievement of CET Accreditation Level 1
- tells a service provider as well as its staff, funder, individuals accessing service, prospective applicants and other stakeholders, that it is providing a quality service
- ensures the service provider can receive uninterrupted funding from funding bodies that reasonably have the expectation that the organizations they support will meet this primary level of standards achievement and
- is a stepping stone on the path to continuous improvement in service provision and organizational excellence