Cllick the play button to activate text-to-speech. After a few seconds, the instructions will disappear. You can then
- click the play button to begin reading from the beginning of the content
- double-click the content where you want TTS to start reading
TTS highlights the content being read with yellow. If the highlight is red, the server is busy converting text to speech. Just click the play button again after a few seconds and TTS will begin reading.
Why the extra click? We want to ensure you really want to activate TTS on the page. I often leave my hand on my trackball as I read. Having TTS begin reading if I accidentally click the trackball or simply wish to highlight a phrase is distracting (at least for me). To avoid this situation, we programmed in the extra click.
TTS works with Windows, OS X and Android devices. It is compatible with Internet Explorer 9+, Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Safari. (Our next iteration of TTS will be compatible with IOS devices as well.)
What TTS does
TTS is designed to:
- convert webpage text to audio. It will
- parse webpage text into phrases or sentences in accordance with specified criteria
- highlight each phrase as it is being read
- employ a lexicon to substitute phonetic spelling for specified words or symbols, such as "three" for "iii"
- automatically update when the underlying text is modified
- be controlled with a standard audio panel and allow the user to highlight specific text to be read
Why CLR Consultants developed TTS
CLR Consultants works extensively with organizations that employ or serve diverse groups of individuals. We have created learning programs for people with limited reading skills, different mother tongues, an aversion to text and even excellent readers who want audio assistance when trying to comprehend complex text.
To help serve these people, we created a server-based application that provides website visitors with text to speech capabilities without requiring any plug-ins or other browser modifications. Our text to speech tool is still under development but is shaping up to be really interesting.
Your feedback matters! Let us know what you think of TTS or whether you have any questions. To do so, contact
|John Elias, MBA, CA|
|CLR Consultants Inc.
228 Ronning Close NW
Edmonton, Alberta T6R1Z4